Saturday, February 8, 2014

Celtic Solstic Mystery Update

My Celtic Solstice is finally pieced and quilted.

I was hoping to have the binding on before linking up to Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville blog but there was some user error on my part. My binding is a combination of the green outer border and the yellow backing. I had started sewing it on and didn't realize until 3 sides later that I sewed folded edge to raw edge. I spent about 2 hours ripping it all out and haven't had a chance to sew it back on. That is on my agenda later today.

I quilted this on my Juki TL 98Q machine that I have on a Proflex frame. I used Isacord 40 wt thread in celery #5832. I really like how the color works with the quilt. I discovered Isacord thread from following Leah Day at http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/. My machine seems to like it and I think it gives a very nice appearance.
The quilting is a free pantograph pattern I found at Urban Elementz called Raindrops. I had to reduce the size a bit due to the throat space on my machine but it worked pretty well.

I am very pleased with how this has turned out being my first mystery quilt. I love following Bonnie Hunter and Leah Day on their blogs and have learned much from both of them. I have linked this post to each of their sites.

My Mom has also completed her Celtic Soltice top and has asked me to quilt it for her.
A few blocks turned this way and that but she wants to let them be. I informed her that all of my quilting at this point is purely practice and she is ok with that. I will probably just do this one totally free motion and not follow a pantograph. Thinking about all over swirls perhaps. I will share it when I get it completed.

That's all for today. Thanks for reading and happy quilting!

Chris

5 comments:

  1. Good for you to get it all quilted. Mine is in the to do pile. You've luckt to have your mom to quilt with. Have fun with the quilting on hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary I agree I am very fortunate to be able to share this journey with my Mom. This was our first Bonnie quilt. We are taking a class from her in June (Jamestown Landing pattern) , can't wait!

      Delete
  2. I love them! I think the thread color works beautifully! I'm inspired to work on mine. Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete