Saturday, February 8, 2014

Celtic Solstic Mystery Update

My Celtic Solstice is finally pieced and quilted.

I was hoping to have the binding on before linking up to Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville blog but there was some user error on my part. My binding is a combination of the green outer border and the yellow backing. I had started sewing it on and didn't realize until 3 sides later that I sewed folded edge to raw edge. I spent about 2 hours ripping it all out and haven't had a chance to sew it back on. That is on my agenda later today.

I quilted this on my Juki TL 98Q machine that I have on a Proflex frame. I used Isacord 40 wt thread in celery #5832. I really like how the color works with the quilt. I discovered Isacord thread from following Leah Day at My machine seems to like it and I think it gives a very nice appearance.
The quilting is a free pantograph pattern I found at Urban Elementz called Raindrops. I had to reduce the size a bit due to the throat space on my machine but it worked pretty well.

I am very pleased with how this has turned out being my first mystery quilt. I love following Bonnie Hunter and Leah Day on their blogs and have learned much from both of them. I have linked this post to each of their sites.

My Mom has also completed her Celtic Soltice top and has asked me to quilt it for her.
A few blocks turned this way and that but she wants to let them be. I informed her that all of my quilting at this point is purely practice and she is ok with that. I will probably just do this one totally free motion and not follow a pantograph. Thinking about all over swirls perhaps. I will share it when I get it completed.

That's all for today. Thanks for reading and happy quilting!